Thursday, October 16, 2008

Potatoes!

I am getting so tired of eating potatoes. It may be insensitive of British culture to bash their cuisine, but this is getting ridiculous. I have consumed potatoes in virtually every meal I've eaten here. Yesterday alone, I had five different types: hash browns, french fries, mashed potatoes, boiled potatoes, and potato soup. I like a tuber just as much as the next guy but seriously, enough with the potatoes.

Feels good to get that off my chest. Other than eating prodigious quantities of a certain starchy vegetable, I've be busy this week. My first tutorial on Tuesday went fairly well. It's going to take some getting used to taking a philosophy class, seeing as we didn't do that great on the whole making-a-coherent-and-logically-valid-argument thing, but hopefully that will come with time. My next Tute (as the lingo goes) is tomorrow when I head down to the Psych building. This class doesn't seem like the workload is going to be quite so backbreaking. Even so, I feel pretty cool walking around with a textbook titled "Cognitive Neuroscience". Makes people think I'm studying to be a brain surgeon or something.

We've got a rowing meeting at 6.15, before our next potato dose. We'll be discussing safety, which means that we'll probably be getting out in a boat soon. The boathouse is quite a long way from the house, but as always I've got my trusty bike. My next Frisbee practice is on Sunday.

Besides reading about brains, a fair portion of the last few days have been spent trying to get things in order for my return to the states in December. I've been trying to work out a place to live, and after a great number of wheedling emails I managed to annoy my advisers into giving me the classes I want next semester. My schedule is exactly what I wanted; class from noon to 3pm solid every day. Also, today I submitted my application for an internship next summer. Hopefully I'll get through to the first round of interviews, which should take place in the next few weeks. Not exactly sure how I'm going to interview from here, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. As for now I need to get back to work, since its only a few hours until potato time. [not Bye! because this isn't a xenga!]

2 comments:

Adam said...

You wrote "Bye!" at the end of your post. What is this, a high schooler's Xanga site?

Anonymous said...

Life's a balance Nick - you've got to eat your spuds so that you can enjoy the Spotted Dick! One without the other wouldn't be cool.