Sunday, October 5, 2008

It's finally English weather

Remember all those times I mentioned how good the weather has been? Well, yeah, that's apparently over now. It's been drizzling steadily since about Wednesday, and the temperature has dropped too (although not quite as much as I sometimes think. Still haven't gotten used to that whole Celsius thing). In a way I actually like the weather now, since it's exactly what I was expecting before I left. I wish that I had another, more dressy jacket than my Northface. The one I have is plenty warm and more watertight than the Hoover era Justice department (is that analogy too much of a stretch?), but it looks a little weird with khakis. Even so, I'm pretty well equipped. Amazing considering the somewhat last minuting packing that went on. One article of clothing I'm on the lookout for is a v-neck sweater vest. My rational is as follows: Sweater vest in Athens=lame. Sweater vest in Oxford=scholarly and fashionable. Really it's a very practical garment and now that I'm consistently wearing my Sperrys, looking like a preppy d-bag is no longer an obstacle.

Moving along into what is only a marginally more interesting subject, I'm enjoying my seminars. They're more reading than I'm used to (and I certainly don't have the heaviest reading load) but its manageable and it beats sitting through lectures everyday. I turned in my second paper for Archer's class on Friday. This one was about the causes of the English civil war, and I afraid it probably wasn't as good as the last one. I'm determined to get a head start on the last one due this week, since I'll likely have to write more papers for my first tutorial next week. My other seminar, Common Law, has been a little less work but at least as interesting. Unlike 17th Century English history, the law stuff might even come in handy later in my academic career.

Went out to the Purple Turtle again last night. God forgive me. But no Macarena this time, so that's something. Till next time.

1 comment:

Adam said...

Please do bring some of that delightful weather back with you in December, as I would like to dance in the fountains again sometime before graduation.