Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A paper forged on the anvil of caffeine

I may have slightly miscalculated how long my latest paper was going to take. I thought I would be up all night, but I'm effectively finished now and it's only 2:40! Unfortunately, I've consumed enough coffee that I may be awake (and twitching) for some time yet. And so, why not take a moment to blog? The weekend in review:

Friday- My psych tutorial was very relaxed. We turned in our notes, then discussed any questions we had for the rest of the hour. Much less stressful than my philosophy tutorial, but at the same time it places a lot of pressure on us to make sure we understand the reading. At least the assigned papers are shorter and fewer

Saturday- There was supposed to be a rowing practice on Saturday morning, but it got canceled. I was disappointed that we wouldn't get out in a boat this weekend, but not that bummed to miss the 6:30 wake up that practice would require. Further than that, I actually can't remember what I did all day...

Sunday- Got up late, went to Frisbee practice. Again "practice" pretty much means 15 minutes of instruction and drills followed by 2 hours of playing Frisbee. Altogether not a bad arrangement, especially since we're getting noticeably better at executing the stack offense. Our coach promised that our modest grasp of the concept would serve us well in competition: "If we can actually get good at clearing out of the open side, we're going to be far ahead of any other college team". I bough some cleats to enhance my game. They're Umbro's and they're cheap; I can feel the tops of the spikes through the sole of the shoe, creating the uniquely unpleasant sensation of running atop six rolls of quarters. But now I can turn on a dime, so I'll just wear an extra pair of socks for padding and get over it. We should be scrimmaging against another college team before the end of the month. I can only hope that I get one of the awesome Keble Ultimate jerseys before I leave. After practice, I took a really long nap.

Monday-All in all a fairly crappy day. First, I misplaced my keys sometime Sunday night. Since I need a key to go through just about every door in the house, this was a wee bit of an inconvenience. I looked everywhere I could think of, but just couldn't find them. Fortunately, in my infinite wisdom I kept a spare key to my bike lock and so at least I didn't have to walk to my meals. Second, the books I needed were checked out of the Keble library. Third, it was raining all day, and actually raining hard rather than the drizzle we've been getting. Fourth, and worst, I just could not keep my eyes open all day. Every time I wasn't standing up, I dozed off. I got 9 hours of sleep the night before, but I fell asleep reading for about an hour this morning, then felt compelled to take a 3 hour nap this afternoon. I don't know if I'm getting sick or something, but I'm feeling very fatigued. Fortunately, all these problems had solutions: 1. My keys were in Eric's nightstand, I don't know how they got there but at least I found them after dinner 2. I borrowed the books in question from Rose who had checked them out last week 3. I put on my jacket and got over it 4. Coffee! I feel much better now that I've got my paper for tomorrow done and am in possession of my keyring. However, I feel the caffeine starting to wear off, so I think I'll take the opportunity to retire before I fall asleep at this table.

No comments: